Worldwide customs – India – Learn negotiating like an indian !
























India continues its way to become a global superpower, we can’t just ignore that. Nowadays the balance in this world is really shaky and I don’t know who could predict exactly which countries will take advantages or better said are most prepaired to handle the reality. India is one of the options.
Like I promised this time I will talk about Indian customs and especially what you should know about their native negotiation and sales techniques.
Indians have a unique and special culture. Communication is more open with them compared to Chinese, Japanese and Koreans. They are very active, used in crowds so intimacy is not something usual. That’s why they respect groups like family. They don’t have any problems showing their emotions, good or bad doesn’t matter. Success in business, creativity, technology and any kind of innovations are respected, they are willing to protect their own kinds and the reputation of their group or family always. Innovation is very important in their culture since competition makes any business old in 2 -3 years. So without innovation a normal business becomes easy target to be erased by concurrence. Even marriages are many times arranged for their business success and prosperity. The honesty is not such a value if you can achieve your goals, if you steal someone else’s fruits it’s noble as if you grow them yourself. They are fatalist and believe in destiny so this can make them risk takers also. They embrace failures seeing it like experience which makes them a powerful nation. Feel sort of rivalry with Chinese especially when they work overbroad and I can really understand that since China and India are competing for the first positions like future superpowers.
The English influence can be remarked in any area of life. Family tradition and hierarchy it’s showed everywhere, in family business the older son rarely can choose his own career, he needs to continue the family business or big storms can invade inside the peaceful family life. They see time as cycle and believe in reincarnation, so time keeping is also something relative. Women usually listen to men. They prefer compliments instead of critics since bad things are usually seen as karmic factors.
When you talk to them be correct, fluid, humble and respectful. They tend to be good listeners and love pomposity in vocabulary. Did you know that Indians hate to say “no” to any business proposal ?

And know let’s learn something from them like one of the best negotiators. Negotiation is their powerful tool and can be a big disappointment if you refuse to negotiate in the first place. They will let the money issues at last after all the other details were settled. Don’t think you will win a negotiation with an Indian easily, be patient before you go to “battle”. Better develop the relationship first and try to know them, rarely Asians make quick decisions.
Indians are flexible and accept to loose for now if the long time perspective is favorable, they think that in any business someone needs to loose and someone to win.

How they do it ?
Let’s see some valuable tips in negotiations. The list below is one of their negotiating method in sales presented in expressions they use, especially when comes about big business proposals. These can be generalized in other kind of transactions and create sort of an image about their "knack".

1. I don’t have any intention to sell.
2. I am not interested in money.
3. This is the most important business field my family has.
4. I don’t want to sell but if I would change my mind you would be the first to know.
5. If I should sell I have no idea about the real value of my business.
6. If it’s about to sell my business I would orientate myself about similar transaction made in the past.
7. When A sold X to B made a good deal.
8. Maybe I would love to sell to you but my family will never accept.
9. I heard your price but I really feel I need to leave this room.
10. I need to tell you honestly I have someone else who offered more than you did.
11. I don’t expect you to pay more than them but at least to offer the same price.
12. I am willing to close this deal with you not with them since I promised you.
13. I know that this price it’s not exactly according to the profit of my business but how could you evaluate a business which own x % of that specific market ?

Rules to keep in mind:

- offer on one item at a time;
- the true price for any item is what you pay for it;
- don’t accept less than 30 % off but try 70 %;
- say “too high” a lot, at least 2 times the salesman needs to lower his price;
- make them show you a lot of merchandise
- wait for the pad of paper – when they start to use it than think it’s just the first step;
- now you can imply a bundled purchase – after you reached your 30 % off you can expect another 5% off for any extra item, around 50 % off you can be satisfied.

! But if the Indian is smiling when you leave he won.

Sure there are many other strategies so be aware, it’s never easy. But keep in mind that they always have something prepared even if you don’t think they have.
Good luck !

P.S. If is any Indian around here and wants to share some extra tips with us I would be glad to hear them.



No comments:

Post a Comment